Monday, May 14, 2012

Hi. My name is…What? my name is... Who? My name is... I have no freaking idea.





When I was about 10 weeks pregnant, I had to pickup up something at the pharmacy. It was a busy night in the pharmacy lobby. I think it was cold season so people hung out and sneezed, coughed, and hacked all over. I stood in line and waited until they called my name. Then walked up to the counter, ready to reconfirm my name and birth date and deny a consultation from the pharmacist on the  proper use of stool softeners (yeah for being prego)

“JENNIFER!” I heard the familiar old voice yell.

Oops. That’s me.  I scurried to the front of the line (that’s right. I scurried. You go 8 days without a BM and I dare you NOT to scurry anywhere).

“Yup. Hi that’s me. All set? OK. What’s the damage? Here’s my card” I really was hoping to get out of here right away.

“I SEE HERE YOU HAVE A PERSCRIPTION FOR …. POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL. THIS IS A HUGE BOTTE TOO. YOU MUST BE ALL SORTS OF BACKED UP” I swear she yells just like that all the time.

“HAVING SOME TROUBLES THERE? IN THE LOWER AREAS? NEEDING TO POOP? SOMETIMES I FIND THAT A NICE BOWL OF SHREDDED WHEAT AND SOME RASPERB-“

“I appreciate the suggestion. I’ll give that a try. Here is my card.” I handed the card from under the register where I had crawled.

‘THEY SHOULD JUST RIGHT MIROLAX ON THE BOTTLE. YA KNOW THIS IS THE SAME STUFF ONT THE SHELF OVER THERE BUT WE CHARGE YOU MORE BECAUSE YOU HAVE PRESCRIPTION FOR THIS POOP START? CRAZY HUH? JUST LOOK OVER THERE. IT’S $5.00 LESS. WHAT A RACKET” 

 I went back under the register.

“OH HUN I JUST NEED TO CONFIRM YOUR INFO…. HON…”

“Oh yeah” I responded, slowly crawling out from under the front of the register.  “My name? It’s F. But it could be under B. I just got married in September and sometimes I forget if under my maiden name or new married name-”

“NO DEAR. I NEED YOUR FIRST NAME.”

“Of course. My name is …………………………………………… my name is…………………………………………..I’m…………………………………” OMFG I forgot my name. MY FIRST NAME!!! The same first name I have had for 30 years. It’s not even like it’s a unique name. It’s Jennifer! One of the most common names ever.Everyone knows a Jennifer.

This was way more embarrassing than the checker announcing to the entire lobby that I was picking up a giant bottle of stool softener.

“YES DEAR? YOUR FIRST NAME?” SHE ASKED ME AGAIN.

I just stared at her. I swear, I stared at this woman for 10 minutes. She stared back. No one moved. No one blinked.  Total silence. I’m sure it was really more like 5 seconds.

No matter how long it was, she eventually reached for the prescription bottle and broke the silence. “JENNIFER? THAT’S YOUR NAME.” It was a statement that meant our staring contest had ended.

“YES!” I shouted like she had just told me I won the stool softener lottery.

“Yes! My name is Jennifer! I knew it would come back to me. I felt so proud of myself.

“I’m sorry. I’m pregnant.” Like maybe this would justify my weird behavior.

And it did.
‘OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH.” The cashier said in understanding. “IT’S EITHER THE BABIES OR THE BOOZE THAT MAKE YA FORGET. CONGRATS ON THE LITTLE ONE.”

I beamed as I handed her my card and ran the transaction, stuffed the card back in my wallet, grabbed my purse and turned to go. I felt like I had won something more valuable than any tangible prize. I knew my first name!

“MA’AM! UHHH JENNIFER?” I turned around and looked at her again.

“YOU FOROT YOUR POOP MEDS!”






1 comment: